Sunday, February 19, 2012

Adilyn's birth story

This is mostly for me, but I like reading birth stories so maybe someone else out there does too.  On Thursday morning, I woke up at 2 to go to the bathroom.  My stomach was really tight but I thought nothing of it because I'd been having contractions for 3 weeks.  But, when I sat on the toilet and after I finished going, I felt this HUGE gush of water.  I immediately knew what had just happened.  Thank goodness I took my cell phone to the bathroom with me because it wouldn't stop.  When my water broke with Bailey (also in the middle of the night) it was just a trickle and I didn't leak a lot until I got to the hospital.  Anyway, I picked up my phone to call my husband who was asleep in the bedroom but he didn't answer.  So, I immediately picked up the phone and called my mother-in-law to let her know she needed to come over, and fast!  As much water as I was losing, I thought for sure Adi was coming VERY soon!  Then, I'm still sitting on the toilet leaking water and grabbed an old towel from under the bathroom sink, stuck it between my legs, and waddled into the bedroom to wake Zach up.  I'm sure it was a beautiful sight!  Zach got in the shower (b/c his mom lives 25 minutes away) and I wandered around wondering how I was going to get clothes on?  I finally decided I was just going to have to put clothes on and sit on the towel until we got to the hospital.  When Zach's mom was almost here I told him I was going to the car, but alas, I had to walk out to the driveway first to vomit everywhere.  (By the way, it feels so good to not be throwing up every morning anymore:))  When we got to the hospital about 2:40 I had started having a  few contractions but nothing new to what I had been feeling.  They tried to put me in an exam room just to make sure it really was my water that broke.  Then, when the nurse realized I was soaking a towel she decided they would just admit me.  DUH!  Anyway, about 3:00 I told them I HAD to have some food.  Even if it was crackers.  They checked my blood sugar and it was a little high from vomiting and not eating so they did bring me 4 saltines... WOW!  HAHA.  Then, it was time to get an IV.  IV's are my worst nightmare.  I am more worried about them then the actual delivery.  This definitely was a nightmarish experience also. The nurse came in and assured me that IV's are her "thing" and I would be fine.  She grabs the biggest needle I have ever seen ... NO LIE and started trying to find a vein.  Then, she lost the vein, and had to start over.  It hurt SO bad.  So, the 2nd time she actually gets in the vein then blows it (I am still sporting a HUGE bruise from it) and had to pull it out. SO, she moved to my right arm (which I told her to use in the first place) and tried again with no luck.  I was REALLY in pain at this point.  So, she found the house supervisor and she came and put the IV right where I originally asked and we had no problems from then on.  They checked my cervix and I was still at a 3.  She said they would start pitocin closer to the time for the doctor to arrive.  So, I tried to rest but I had too much adrenaline.  They let me take some nausea medicine and I felt better.  At 6:30 they started me on a VERY slow drip of Pitocin.  About 7 I was in MAJOR pain. SUPER hard contractions and dilating fast.  The doctor came in and said I was at a 5.  I asked for some IV pain meds and it helped with the pain a little.  A few minutes later they checked me and I was a 6.  I received 2 doses of pain meds in my IV between 7 and 9 am.  She said once I got to an 8 I couldn't have any more.  At 9:45 the nurse checked me one last time and I screamed as she moved the last little lip of my cervix around Adi's head.  Then, I started pushing.  25 minutes later, I was holding an 8 pound 8 ounce little girl.  I will not lie, it was excruciating, but she was well worth it, born at 37 weeks 4 days.  We are so in love with her.  Bailey thinks she is just wonderful as well!



2 comments:

The Anglin Family said...

I think she's pretty cute:-))) and I'm so so glad she's here and you're not still pregnant!!!

Rachel said...

Congrats.
Take it easy and enjoy this time.